Objective & Contents
The objective of the Senior Course on Crisis Management and Civil Emergency Planning (CMCEP) is to strengthen the participants' knowledge and understanding of the various parts and linkages and to provide analytical tools for effective and legitimate crisis management with focus on civil emergency planning.
The methodology used in the course is a combination of lectures, facilitated discussions, and scenario-based learning. The purpose of the chosen methodology is to allow for a higher level of understanding of the field of Crisis Management and Civil Emergency Planning. The course participants are expected to reflect, analyze, and apply own experiences, knowledge, and best practices in these fields.
The course content includes the following general themes:
- Concepts and approaches (including resilience, all-hazards approach, and the "broader" view on national security)
- The New Global Threat Environment (the context)
- Crisis and Disaster Management at national, regional, and international levels (the systems)
- Crisis Management and Civil Emergency Planning (the tools)
- EU, NATO, and UN Crisis and Disaster Management capabilities
- How external support is activated
- Crisis Diagnosis: why, what and how
- Organizational Resilience
- Human Security
Scenario-based learning modules and group work
During the latter part of the course there will be scenario-based learning modules where the previously covered content will be applied.