Q&A on the coronavirus for newly admitted students

This information is for international students who have applied to the Swedish Defence University on universityadmissions.se and have been admitted for studies commencing in autumn 2020.

Exchange students

Exchange students should instead follow the instructions they receive from their international coordinator. At this time, not all questions can be answered. This FAQ will be updated when there are new regulations and directives from the Swedish Government and when new decisions are taken by the university, please check back regularly for updates.


All courses and programmes that we offer will be running. A decision regarding a potential switch to distance learning instead of on-campus teaching, will be decided mid-June. Nevertheless, the courses and programmes are still offered in some form.

If you have been conditionally admitted because you are in the final year of your bachelor’s degree, you are offered a place on a study programme on the condition that you have completed your bachelor’s degree by the time the semester starts, and can show the appropriate documents to prove it.

You should upload the documentation on your pages on universityadmissions.se. If you are not able to do so when the semester starts, your admission will be withdrawn.

You should contact the Student and Education department masterprogramme@fhs.se regarding the deadline for arrival and registration and to find out what options there are if you cannot arrive in time.

If you no longer wish to commence your studies you should notify the Student and Education department (antagning@fhs.se) so that your place can be offered to someone on the waiting list.

If you want to commence your study programme one year later, and if special grounds exist, you can apply for deferment of studies. Send a written application for deferement of studies to the Student and Education department.

If you wish to apply for a repayment of the tuition fee, send an e-mail to antagning@fhs.se.

The first instalment of the tuition fee will be repaid if the course or programme you have been admitted to is no longer offered. Send an e-mail to antagning@fhs.se if you wish to apply for a repayment of the tuition fee.

If the teaching method is substantially different from the one indicated when the student was admitted (e.g. from “on-Campus” to “distance learning”) the student can choose between commencing the studies (same tuition fee applies for on campus and distance learning), declining the offered seat, or apply for deferral and commence the programme one year later.

Depending on the local situation, several Swedish missions abroad may also be limited in their capacity to assist you in the processing of applications within normal timeframes. Please refer to your national authorities for information regarding any restrictions to the freedom of movement that may prevent you from visiting a Swedish mission.

If you have already paid the tuition fee

Fee paying students who have already paid the first instalment and no longer want to commence their studies due to the change in study form can choose between having the tuition fee repaid (this option is only valid if the student has not yet registered for the course or programme), or apply for a deferment of studies.

If the student chooses to defer the studies the tuition fee will be carried forward to the semester when the student takes up his/her place.

The tuition fee is repaid for students whose residence permit application is denied by the Swedish Migration Agency. The fee will also be repaid to students who will not be able to get a residence permit on time due to prolonged processing time by the Swedish Migration Agency.

No administrative fee applies for repayment of the tuition fee.

The Swedish Migration Agency is the responsible authority for processing residence permit applications. Please visit the Swedish Migration Agency’s website for the latest updates.