For teachers

As a teacher, you will need to use various sources covered by copyright

Below are some common questions about copyright from a teacher's perspective described.

More questions and answers can also be found by following the link Bonus Copyright Access - FAQ.

» Bonus Copyright Access - Frequently Asked Questions (in Swedish)

What is Bonus Copyright Access Agreement License?

The Swedish Defence University, like other higher education institutions in the country, has entered into a contractual license agreement for the field of education with Bonus Copyright Access.

More information about the agreement and the terms of copying can be found on the Bonus Copyrights Access website.

» Terms and conditions (in Swedish)

» Copy guide for colleges and universities

What applies to articles from the databases with which the library has signed an agreement?

The databases have their own agreements that regulate the use of the content.

» Read more about the library's e-resources and copyright  

What is meant by Creative Commons?

It is allowed to use material posted on the Internet that is under a so-called Creative Commons license. You can find more information about searching for and using Creative Commons-licensed content on the Creative Commons website.

» Search Creative Commons licensed material

Can I use texts, pictures, diagrams and more that I find on the internet in my teaching?

Copyright also extends to works posted on the Internet. In order to use the material available on the Internet, the rightholder must have given his permission. Such permission can be obtained in various ways, for example through contractual licenses (Bonus agreements), Creative Commons or that the rightholder is asked.

Who owns the copyright to student theses?

The student owns the copyright to the thesis and thus decides on the use of the work. The university may not publish an essay on the Internet, LMS or in any other way without the student's permission. By law, certain student papers must be archived. However, archiving does not affect the student's copyright.

Can I link to copyrighted material found on the Internet?

It is not entirely clear where the limit for permitted linking lies. So-called reference linking, when it is clearly stated that the user ends up on another website, may be considered permissible. Embedded links or frame links, when it is not noticeable that you end up on another website, or deep links, when the link goes to a file on another website without passing the first page, may constitute copyright infringement. A prerequisite for permitted linking is that it is made to legally posted material.

I want to use a book in teaching that can no longer be bought. Can I then freely copy from my own book?

Although the book is no longer available for purchase, it may well be subject to copyright. If the parts you want to copy are not covered by Bonus Copyright Access, Creative Commons or similar, the rights holder must be asked for permission. The rights holder can be, for example, the publisher, the author or the two together.

Keep in mind that the copyright to photographs, images, diagrams, etc. in a book may belong to someone other than the author. Where appropriate, it may also be necessary to ask their consent to use.

What applies when copying for private use?

It is permitted to copy for private use one or a few copies of a published work that is subject to copyright. The copies must be intended for yourself, family or friends.

For copying for private use, the model must also be published. The model must also be lawful, i.e. have been made available to the public either with the permission of the rightholder or on the basis of the restrictions contained in copyright.

In the case of literary works, such as textbooks, it is allowed to copy only a limited part of the book, such as a chapter. However, it is allowed to copy a book of limited scope, such as a poem, on a limited number of pages. Otherwise, it is not allowed to copy an entire book.