Making a complaint

If you have comments on, for example, grading, treatment by teachers, supervision or the quality of your education, you can submit a written complaint.

The complaint should be sent to the director of studies responsible for each subject.

The director of studies will handle complaints immediately, and inform students of any decisions made. Complaints will always be handled with respect and will maintain the privacy of those involved.

Please note that complaints are not the same as a formal appeal of a decision.