Doctoral education is organised in programme form within the framework of the Swedish Defence University's existing organisation.
The overall arrangement is to ensure fertile conditions for high quality education within a coherent and well-coordinated frame. This foundation enables optimal balance between fields of study and doctoral subjects, as well as between administrative management and academic quality assurance and peer review. Further, the organisation supports and fosters the continued development of the academic field of Defence, Crisis Management and Security as a whole.
- Important roles of supervisors and doctoral students include, not only concrete implementation of the individually designed doctoral education, but also formal regulation and regular follow-up associated with the individual study plans. Consideration of the perspectives of doctoral students is paramount and has an impact on the design and implementation of doctoral education as an important quality factor.
- The Research and Education Board at the Swedish Defence University has overall responsibility for collegial quality management and the quality assurance of doctoral programmes at the university.
- The Research Director has overall responsibility for the implementation of doctoral education at the Swedish Defence University, a responsibility which transcends divisional and departmental boundaries, and which also applies to education programmes at the first-cycle and second-cycle levels.
- The Subject Area Director and the Director of Studies are responsible for the ongoing and day-to-day management, coordination and follow-up of doctoral education.
- The appropriate body for enquiries about the organisation, implementation and quality of the respective doctoral education subject is the respective Subject Council.
- The Board of Directors and Vice-Chancellor are ultimately responsible for ensuring that the missions of the Swedish Defence University, including high-quality doctoral education, are fulfilled.
- The Heads of Department and other line managers play a central role, as they are responsible for leading and organising activities such that missions may be efficiently fulfilled in a manner ensuring the commitment to high quality education.